Our annual Portfolio Day is Thursday, March 29th! We are planning a unique day, honoring children’s potentials and learning in community. On March 29 your child has an alternative schedule, meaning that he or she will attend with you for just one hour in a carefully scheduled Portfolio Day session. Session options will be 8:30-9:30 a.m., 10-11:00 a.m., 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. or 4-5 p.m. Assigned time slots will take into account family work schedules, siblings, peers and learning groups.
Portfolio Day reflects our belief that learning happens in relationship with others. Your time on Portfolio Day is organized to reflect on your child’s learning, but also the learning of your child’s peers. We ask you to think about the learning of other children because we believe:
- Learning together makes our community stronger
- When a group of families note another child’s strengths, it elevates that child’s work even more
- Other families will elevate your child’s potential
- You may see something different in another child’s work than the parents do
- Your thinking is valued
- Your reflection is similar to the type of work your child does regularly,
- You will learn about your child’s peers
- It offers an opportunity for your child to lead you through a reflective process
Throughout the Portfolio Day, please plan to stop in the gym or computer lab to experience math activities that align with our approach to instruction and challenging concepts like fractions. Fourth and fifth grade parents can check out the online Imagine Math program used in Discovery E and F to individualize math learning. Portfolio Day is by far one of the most powerful and inspiring days. We greatly look forward to sharing, celebrating and learning together.